I’ve got the inspiration to create something on the special year 1963, from a recent friend from Twitter, an artist maybe born on that year, and I found a few very interesting issues. Starting from web pages specialized exactly on this, to show artistically, things happened during the requested year, to an up to date research based on a special day, your birthday, for sample.
– Pope John XXIII dies (June 3), and is succeeded June 21 by Cardinal Montini, who becomes Paul VI.
– British Secretary of War John Profumo resigns in the wake of an affair with Christine Keeler, a teenage showgirl who was also involved with the Soviet naval attaché (June).
– Washington-to-Moscow “hot line” communications link opens, designed to reduce risk of accidental war (Aug. 30). It was the “ending” of the cold war.
– Kenya achieves independence.
– There are 15,000 US military advisers in South Vietnam.
– 32 independent African nations found Organisation of African Unity, established in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
– Lee Harvey Oswald, accused Kennedy assassin, is shot and killed by Jack Ruby (Nov. 24).
– James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time
– E E Cummings, 73 Poems
– Betty Friedan, The Feminine Mystique
– Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar
– Thomas Pynchon, V
– John Rechy, City of Night
– Charles M. Schulz, Happiness is a Warm Puppy
– John Updike, The Centaur
– Kurt Vonnegut, Cat’s Cradle
[source – imdb.com]
The movie was at challenge with Hud, another box office success, but not as famous as Cleopatra. Now here is something tragic. The beautiful Cleopatra isn’t between us anymore. In 1963 she was 31, and this movie offered her the greatest salary in history, $1,000,000. In ’63 one could have the world with this sort of money. “Elizabeth Taylor is considered one of the last, if not the last major star, to have come out of the old Hollywood studio system.”
[source – imdb.com]
In Memoriam, Liz Taylor…
If you liked what you read (and for that I humbly thank you for your patience), subscribe to this blog by Email! Follow me on Twitter, on Facebook, on Instagram and on Google+! For a joyous day, check my pins on Pinterest :). If you like this blog and think it’s time to take a step further by becoming yourself a blogger, be kind and read the Own Your Website offer I have for you! You won’t regret. Thanks for passing by, speak your mind, don’t be shy!